Sunday, November 22, 2009


As I mentioned, I have been reading some Nauruan history.
"The rat belongs to a harmless species .. which arrived from Japan on a ship. The rat is often a protagonist in legends, and symbolizes the ungrateful type, even so, the rat does not arouse any hostility."
This is a quote from the book, and now I will tell you why this was particularly interesting to me this week.

I have been able to continue working (sort of) while living here on this small island halfway around the world. The reliability of both electricity and internet service is sketchy, but the whole concept that I am able to work at all is still quite amazing to me. When in the US, I can work in the comfort and security of my own home; however, while here I must go to a central office where there is a LAN connection. On Friday, just as I was finishing up my last job, something caught my eye and as I looked over my shoulder I saw something run across the floor about 3-4 feet behind me. As I focused in on this "shadow" I recognized it as none other than a rat, tail included about a foot long! Unable to get past the manager's office door which was closed, he promptly climbed the wall, ran down the counter and behind the receptionist's monitor. She was facing the opposite direction totally unaware of the visitor. Across the room a girl (about 10 years old) was grinning ear to ear, but not the least bit alarmed. I, on the other hand, closed up shop and called it a day. I was sitting there wearing flipflops and the thought of this "harmless species" running across my feet or worse, biting my toes, gave me the creeps! I must admit, this had a more profound effect on me than the mice behind the apple box. I am scheduled to return to work on Monday .. I certainly hope the rat does not!

3 comments:

  1. I hear rats make good pets. Might make a good companion to Samson, Delilah and the Philistines. I'm still workin' on a name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh if I were there when it happened I would of been at the house before you could blink an eye. I can't stand the little furry critters with long skinny tails. Wear boots and long pants with bands around them so they can't get inside. I'm not envying you any longer. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you wash your canned stuff before you pop the top. Rats leave a nourishing environment for a particularly harmful bacteria.Or so I've heard. Love y'll. God bless!

    ReplyDelete